Saturday, March 19, 2005

Musical Renaissance My Ass.

Wilco. Modest Mouse. Elliot Smith.

These are just a few artists whose work is starting to get mainstream attention, most noticeably from teenagers like myself. I'm providing these artists because they've been around for a while now and are only now starting to get noticed on a grander scale. They've been recording music for the better part of ten years and now they're getting attention. I attribute this to the internet and its increased usage of downloaders, not that there's any more good music being produced today than there was, say, ten years ago.

Wilco's break into my life came with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I had read a favourable review and downloaded a few songs. I was blown away when I listened to 'Ashes Of American Flags' and 'I Am Trying To Break Your Heart'. I immediatly started to seek out their earlier material and found an excellent back catalog.

This is how most bands get their material known: first, they record an album, the album gets good reviews, and from thereonin that should be enough to get airplay. This would be true if the world was perfect. In today's *advanced* world, it is the internet that allows us to have such a wide knowledge of music, because just because a record sounds great, doesn't mean that it'll be played. A good album will have some fans in Britain who'll then rave about it over a message board to someone in North Bumfuck, Saskatchewan, who'll then download every song off the album, and then procede to buy said album at the earliest available opportunity.

But this is just a build-up to the point I'm trying to make. The music being made today is no worse or better than earlier years. You just have to a) look hard enough to find it, and then b) download it. It's the greater access to the good music, not the greater amount of good music, stupid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home