Friday, August 12, 2005

I.D., E.D., Both Are Impotent

There's an excellent article in Time magazine, this week, which highlights the debate in America between teaching the theories of evolution and intelligent design in science class. I believe there is a simple solution to this problem: the theories should be given as much time as the scientific support gives them. There is virtually none in backing I.D., so it shouldn't merit more than a brief mention in the science class.

Basically, the arguement in support of teaching I.D. is: "there are holes in the theory of evolution, therefore it must be logical that I.D. is the one true answer to the origin of species."

Of course, this can't be scientifically tested, so what place does it have in a science class? None. The answer is none. I.D. is a cure-all for anything that is unexplicable or doesn't make sense. Just say that it's all part of a higher plan.

The article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home